Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday the 13th

It all started when I was in high school.  Friday the 13ths had a sort of juicy scariness that I loved.  Each time something "unlucky" would happen, it was an affirmation that something could BE unlucky, and how cool was that?  But all in all, my Friday the 13ths were pretty tame.

Until that one day--February 13th, a Friday, the day before Valentine's day.

I'd been seriously crushing on some boy, and rumor had it that he liked me too.  LIKED me, liked me.  So that Friday I giddily waited for him to shower me with cheap carnations and express his true feelings for me.  And I waited.  And waited.  By the end of the school day I was desolate as only a teenaged girl can be.  Obviously Friday the 13th working against me.  I moped my way to my locker, just wanting the day to end, and when I opened it, inside were two of the most beautiful, luscious, glorious pink roses I have ever (to this day) seen.  And a poem.  Best.  Day.  EVER!

Did I mention the poem was unsigned?

Sadly, it turned out that a different boy, who was not even on my radar (a senior no less!), had given me this Valentine's gift.  Nothing came of that, since I wasn't actually allowed to date yet, but it did change my view of Friday the 13th forever.
For me, today is a day to be watched cautiously.  Since that fateful day, my Friday 13ths have been largely lucky, with a twist.  You know--find a twenty on the ground, but get a flat tire you have to pay to patch.  Still, it's luck--and I'll take that.
Wishing you a good one.
The Discreet Witch

4 comments:

  1. Friday the 13th is a lucky day for me.. has been since bootcamp :) I love this day. A Happy and very lucky one to you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I survived it, and no twists from the luck fairy! Yay me! Hope yours was a good one as well.

      Delete
  2. And I live on Block 13, Lot 13 on Cemetery Hill -- really!

    Yes, we do a cemetery-themed Samhain night -- with over 100 trick-or-treaters .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that! I feel inspiration coming on--I've amassed a crapload of tombstones over the years...

      Delete