Sunday, September 8, 2013

Autumnification!

I can't deny it any longer--the Autumn nesting urge is upon me.  Oh, I tried to fight it.  In theory I like to wait until the Autumn Equinox to officially begin decorating for the season.  So to keep my mind off of Fall, I worked on minor home improvement projects hoping for distraction.  But sadly, each project brought another opportunity to Autumnize.  Change out the air conditioner filters--add pumpkin spice air freshener.  Clean out struggling flower pots--time to add mums.  Fresh coat of paint on the back door--choose a color which looks awesome with orange (I like to call it Restoration Hardware Gray).

Today at the grocery store was the final straw though.  Medium pumpkins for $4.  Between you and me, I don't know what scale they judge these pumpkins by because they were huge!  So you know I had to pick up a couple, and once pumpkins are in the house, the battle is lost.  Autumnification must commence.
I like to keep my pumpkins caged until after Mabon

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful!

    But so warm hereabouts -- hard to imagine putting out fresh pumpkins ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a similar problem here. If the dogs don't start gnawing on the pumps, the heat and humidity does them in. If they survive that, they still have to get past nabby teenagers who like to play punkinchunkin in the neighborhood. Just keep the pumpkin in a shady(ish)area and off of concrete for any length of time. I keep mine on a bench on my front porch.

      Delete
  2. Yer killin me, Smalls. I have been fighting the urge to decorate for fall until the equinox.. now, you've totally paved the way for me to justify doing it tomorrow.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldnt wait and splurged on labor day... but today I got the urge to put out my Halloween décor! I told myself I had to wait until at least the last week of September for that, and my scarecrows and pumpkins will have to do unto then. But my orange bush lights are going on mabon. I know theyre Halloween lights, but we'll just call them "fall" lights. My neighbors probably think I'm whack... but oh well! :)

    Caging pumpkins.. interesting. Story/legend behind this??

    great post!
    -A

    thekitchenwitchwearsprada.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, the truth behind the caged pumpkin--a glass of wine on an empty stomach made that image just hilarious to me. In the cold light of Monday morning it seems less so...

      Delete