Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Magickal Doldrums



Last night, as I was sitting outside watching the sun set and listening to my world settle down for the day, I realized that I had absolutely no idea what phase the moon was in.  Not only that, but I don't think I've used an altar or given thanks for over a month, and the only incense I've burned lately is the citronella scented mosquito repellent incense in the garden.  And I'm fairly certain that while cooking (normally a spiritual act for me) I've only stirred liquids deosil out of habit, and not with any magical intent.

I go through this every year.  Right around late spring, early summer, I hit a spiritual lull.  Because the spring festivals Imbolc and Beltane are so much less...encompassing...than the autumn/winter festivals, I begin to wallow in the mundane and forget the magical.  With work and school and family, it becomes easy to put off something which, on the surface, seems a waste of time, but which in reality is the most important thing I can do.  I'm becoming the pagan equivalent to a Christmas/Easter Christian--one who only shows up to church for the big masses.  Dare I say it?  A Halloween Witch.

Fortunately this year the realization has hit before the Summer Solstice.  Midsummer, when nature is blooming violently around me, is a great time to get back into the metaphysical swing of things.  It's time to drag my happy pagan ass out of the air-conditioned comfort of the house and away from the computer, the television and the washing machine.  It's time to head back outside, into the garden and into the light.  I have to remind myself to be part of the world and not apart from it.  Still, this would be more palatable if it wasn't 80 degrees Fahrenheit in the mornings. 


1 comment:

  1. I feel you on this. Alive in fall, suffocated in summer. But "earthing" in summer is nice, walking barefoot in the yard and feeling almost instantly calmed. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete