Saturday, May 18, 2013

Discount Paganism

Practicing paganism should not be expensive.  Sure you need supplies--incense, candles, chalk, salt...I could go on and on.  If you are practicing High Magick, then yes, you'll probably want to shell out for that silver athame and goblet, but basic paganism and natural magic in particular, should be next to free.  That's tough for me to say, because Goddess knows I do love to shop, but you don't really HAVE to use that thrice-blessed and anointed wish candle from your local occult shop.  Personally I find that the items you cleanse and bless yourself give more *umph* to your spellwork.  Remember, a good spell is mostly about intent and focus.  If shelling out a bundle helps you focus on your goal then far be it for me to talk you out of it.  For the rest of us however, here are some money-saving spots for basic altar supplies:

2013-04-09 15.11.17Your yard--if you are lucky enough to have space for a garden, or even potted plants, many of your herbal supplies become next to free.  If you don't garden, basic garden herbs like rosemary, mint, sage and thyme, tend to grow like crazy when happy and their owners are usually more than happy to let you come take their trimmings away.
Walmart--While I dislike going to Walmart on principle, most of your basic supplies can be found here, and if you are doing candle magic on a budget, they have a wide variety of inexpensive colored candles. 

Dollar Stores--Sometimes I get lucky with candles and seasonal items here.
Local grocery--Obviously you can get salt here--for crafting I prefer uniodized salt, but that's about as fancy as I get.  For basic spell-work, an all-purpose incense like sandalwood will do.  You can find this at most grocery stores these days.  I have to admit though, I tend to splurge on my incense since I have to smell it for the rest of the day after use.
Seconds stores-- if you are lucky enough to have a good seconds store nearby (like TJ Maxx, DFO or Tuesday Morning) you can usually find almost everything you need to accessorize your altar.  Many of my favorite pagan decorating purchases came from Marshalls.  Especially after Samhain and Yule, they practically give cool stuff away!
Yard sales--I love the second-hand cauldron I rescued a few months back.  Yard sales involve a lot more time and effort, but they are generally worth it since the items you get tend to have more personality.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I'm new to all this and its so helpful to know where to go to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half-Priced Books is a great place to get literature as well--if you're lucky, the occult section won't be directly opposite the Christian section and the Children's Books section like mine is. There's nothing quite like casually perusing spellbooks in front of good Christian moms.

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying reading your posts Mrs. Smith. This post is a great reminder of where it all started ... out there in nature. Everything we need can be found there :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete