Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Walk in the Garden--Beltane

My garden and I have a love/hate relationship most of the time, so I tend to forget to appreciate the simple gifts it gives.  But springtime is here and the garden is being kind to me (for now anyway), and what better time to enjoy it than Beltane?  Today I've decided to take a walk in the garden with my camera and really LOOK at the Beltane show.
The herbs have gone crazy with this nice wet April we've had--the oregano is about to bolt, and I suspect the sage is not far behind.
 I planted some random Home Depot cherry tomatoes early this spring--got to remember to lay off the Epsom salts next time.  Too much foliage, not enough fruit.  The calendula and alyssum seem to be happy though.
 
I've been waiting on these Easter lilies all season!  I was sort of hoping they would decide to be Beltane lilies, but whenever they do finally open they will be quite a show!
 Aha!  There's the little guy who's been snacking away on my dill!  Usually they go for the fennel. Honestly, I've been afraid to harvest any more, lest I disturb (or goddess forbid, eat) any baby swallowtails. 
 The beginnings of a moonflower vine which will take over the porch rails by autumn.  Something to look forward to.
 Perhaps the beginning of a fairy circle?  Hmmm....
 My oxalis doing it's best to cover for waning daffodils.  I totally forgot that I had planted that chrysanthemum there after the autumn show.  What a pleasant surprise.
 My butterfly iris is going to town with all this moisture.  You go girls!  The poppies in the background are a reseed from a pack I planted seven or eight years ago.  They just keep coming back and who am I to stop them?
Last year I planted a white version of purple coneflower which I thought had gone on to that great garden in the sky.  Yet here it is poking up through the impatiens in the moon garden.  I'm thrilled that it didn't go into the light.

Seriously, I could do this all day, but what I really should be doing is getting off my rear and heading back out into the garden on this lovely May Day.  Blessed Beltane to all!

3 comments:

  1. Beltane Blessings, darlin!! Love your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't find an email link for you, so I'm simply going to comment here. I have just found your blog and I want to say thank you for reminding me that it's okay to remain "discreet", to use your word, when one is a Pagan amidst a sea of conservative Christians. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm to hear that. I have to admit to a certain amount of jealousy when I meet overt pagans, but it's just not me. Fortunately, my brand of paganism mirrors modern Christian celebrations (or vice versa) so I get away with a lot.

      Delete