Saturday, February 16, 2013

Inspiration Cakes




I can always tell when I really don't want to do something.  I'm hit with a sudden, overwhelming urge to bake.  I'd like to tell myself that it's the Universe urging me in a creative, nurturing direction, but the reality most times is that I'm feeling particularly unimaginative and I'm falling back on something I know I do well.  Today is one of those days.

Looking through my supplies, I noticed I have a crapload of brown sugar.  Huh.  Well, I have whipping cream, I have vanilla...Toffee!  And so inspiration strikes.

While I do love sticky pudding, I hate making it--it's work and it involves multiple appliances.  But I had a theory.  I suspected that any cake recipe would taste awesome if you poked many holes in it and soaked it in toffee.  I've got to make breakfast anyway, so why not...

STICKY TOFFEE PANCAKES!!!

Oh dear Goddess!  You've never had such a decadent breakfast as this!  Make your pancakes as you normally would--a pancake is a pancake is a pancake.  Then pour this yummy goodness on top and prepare to be inspired!

Ingredients:
8 Tbs unsalted butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

In a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, then whisk in the brown sugar until combines.  Bring to a simmer and cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is a deep amber (4-6 minutes).  Carefully add the cream (it will bubble up), vanilla and salt.  Remove the pan from the heat and whisk to combine.  Dowse your pancakes with this amazing concoction while still hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment