Wednesday, December 5, 2012

St. Nicholas' Eve

Tonight is St. Nicholas' Eve, traditionally a night when little European boys and girls would place their shoes by the fireplace in hopes that St. Nicholas will leave them a little sumthin'sumthin'.  St. Nicholas was originally Nicholas of Myra, a 4th century Greek bishop.  During his life, he was known for putting coins in people's shoes, thus starting the tradition as we know it.

While I recognize that this is not a pagan holiday, I'm all about getting the kids into the Yule spirit, and I love the wacky traditions surrounding the season.  Here we mostly just do small toys and/or candy in whatever shoes the kids leave out and hope that the dog doesn't find it first.  The gold coin candy is extremely popular chez moi, but more for the novelty than the taste.  I'll...I mean St. Nick will fill my shoes with Ghirardellis, thank you very much. 


No comments:

Post a Comment