Friday, December 28, 2012

Frumenty Fusion Soup

It is cold and wet and generally unpleasant outside today.  On days like this (assuming I'm not working) I love to sit by the fire under an afghan and read cookbooks.  This morning's cookbook was one I hadn't opened in a while, The Wicca Cookbook by Jamie Wood and Tara Seefeldt.  While I'm not Wiccan myself, I do love pagan cookbooks--they read like a yummy Book of Shadows and this one doesn't disappoint.
In The Wicca Cookbook is a recipe for Frumenty which peaked my interest.  Frumenty was a popular Medieval dish similar to porridge.  It could be served sweet like we serve oatmeal, with fruit and nuts, or savory like a rice dish with milk and egg stirred in.  Reading over the recipe, with the nasty weather outside, I thought how wonderful it would be as a soup--kind of a Medieval beef and barley/pho fusion with a little egg drop thrown in for good measure.

Frumenty Fusion Soup

3 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
salt and pepper to taste
1 large egg, beaten

In your favorite soup pot, saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent.  Add the broth and bring to a boil.  Stir in the bulgur wheat, cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 to 40 minutes.  The bulgur should be just chewy enough.  Before serving, stir the soup to get a nice cyclone going, and gently drizzle the beaten egg in.

I like to serve mine over a bowl of greens, like spinach or kale.  If you really want to go fusion, add a tablespoon of sambal to give it an Asian heat.

The Wicca Cookbook: Recipes, Ritual and Lore


No comments:

Post a Comment