Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Twinkie Paganism


While surfing the Net for juicy pagan stuff (you know you do it too), I stumbled upon multiple references to the "infamous Twinkie Pagan essay."  Intrigued (I mean, who wouldn't want to read something cool enough to stand out in an ocean of pagan search hits), I Googled it and discovered Michael Poe's "Figment Website" (http://figment3spade.tripod.com)
It's loaded with enough pagan articles to waste even the longest afternoon--get comfortable.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from "Twinkie Paganism."  The term Twinkie evokes (at least to me) images of blondness and sweetness and very little substance.  In the article, however, it basically described a newbie.  Worse than that, a newbie desperate for attention.  We've all met them, usually at Renaissance festivals or in Portland, OR, and they are the extreme opposite of the discreet witch.  But I think that instead of Twinkies, the better Hostess cake here would be the Snowball.  It's way out there on the outside--all pink and coconutty and not quite right--kind of dark on the inside, AND it still has that substance-free cream filling that the Twinkie boasts.  But the basic message was still solid--don't be a Twinkie (Snowball) Pagan.

http://figment3spade.tripod.com/idiots/twinkie.html

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment