Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Garlic



I've got a sudden craving for garlic.  Is it because everyone in my house seems to have a cold?  Possibly.  Is it because I have a sudden (Twilight-inspired) desire to keep vampires away?  I don't know, maybe--but not the nice, pretty, sparkly ones, just the mean ugly ones.  Is it because I recently purchased a three-pound bag of peeled garlic?  Busted.  I don't know what came over me, but looking at this huge bag makes think I'd better start cooking.

Garlic is a wonderful plant for magickal purposes.  It can be used in spells of protection, purification, and healing.  It is used to ward off negative magic and energy.   Garlic is excellent in spells involving Moon magick and those invoking the goddess Hecate.  Nutritionally, garlic is an excellent source of manganese and a good source of selenium, B6 and Vitamin C.  With all of this (as well as a three-pound bag of the stuff just sitting in my fridge) there is no excuse not to use it in all of my savory dishes to give them a nutritional and metaphysical boost.

In order to use the maximum amount of garlic, I've decided to roast it and make roast garlic soup.  It's wonderful, and perfect for a Full Moon celebration.  Originally, I found this recipe on the epicurious website.  I had duck stock, so I used it instead of the chicken, and I used more garlic than the recipe called for since, hey, I had it on hand.   The lemon seems like a random idea, but trust me--it's worth it.
For the original recipe go here:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Garlic-Soup-with-Parmesan-Cheese-100669

Roast Garlic Soup
  • 26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
  • 2 1/4 cups sliced onions
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 18 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream

  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
  • 4 lemon wedges


Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Garlic-Soup-with-Parmesan-Cheese-100669#ixzz2Co0fJpS6
  • 26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
  • 2 1/4 cups sliced onions
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 18 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream

  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
  • 4 lemon wedges


Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Garlic-Soup-with-Parmesan-Cheese-100669#ixzz2Co0fJpS6
26 (or more) cloves of garlic, peeled
2 T olive oil

1/4 stick of butter
two medium onions, chopped
1 1/2 t fresh thyme
18 garlic cloves, raw
3 1/2 cups of duck stock

1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
4 lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 350F.  Roast the 26 (or more) cloves of garlic with the olive oil in foil for 45 minutes to an hour (the cloves should be browned.)
Later:
Melt the butter in a large sauce pan.  Saute the onions until translucent.  Add thyme and raw garlic cloves and continue to cook a couple more minutes.  Add the duck stock (or chicken, if you must) cover and simmer about 20 minutes, until the garlic is soft.  Add the roasted garlic and then puree the soup until smooth (I used a puree wand and it worked like a charm).

Serve with cream and Parmesan with the lemon wedge on the side.  Don't skip the lemon!






No comments:

Post a Comment